Canadian Working Holiday Visa Tax Back Guide

Share this post:

Canadian Tax Refunds

We wanted to compile a tax back guide for anyone looking to claim their tax back.  There is so much information out there, we have compiled the main information you need here in this article. There is a lot more to tax in Canada but this gives you a summary of the main points. Enjoy.

  • The tax year in Canada runs from January 1st to December 31st, and T4s (tax summary documents) are issued from each of your employers in January and February the following year.
  • You can file your Canadian tax return from March 1st and the tax deadline is April 30th. All going well your tax refund for Canada should arrive within ¬†approx 8 weeks.
  • If you’re on a working holiday in Canada, you should file your tax refund as a non-resident. That way, you’ll get back thelargest tax refund legally available and you’ll be fully compliant with your visa conditions.
  • On a working holiday visa in Canada you are not required by law to file a tax return in your first year. However it we recommend you do it in your first year as it can get a bit harder to track everything if you leave it longer.
  • The government will check to make sure that you have filed all of your taxes correctly for any amount of time that you have spent in Canada if you decide to go for PR.
  • If you have left Ireland between 2010 – 2014 you can claim back a large amount back especially if you worked till half way through the tax year in Ireland as well your Canadian tax back.
  • You can claim your Irish tax back by requesting a balancing sheet, however this can get a bit tricky and long-winded if they don’t have a lot of your details registered.
  • Alternatively you could use a service such as TaxBack.Com to do it for you and make sure you get the largest amount back.
  • If you want to work out how much you could potentially get back use this handy working holiday tax back calculator.
  • The average Canadian tax refund is around $904 so check it out today and take the first, important step towards getting your tax back.
  • You can claim travel and medical expenses against your tax, so make sure you keep your travel passes and medical receipts.
  • You can only claim receipts for the monthly bus transit and travel passes. The daily passes only count if you have at least 20 daily passes per month.
  • offers free estimates, free online accounts, a hassle-free process and refunds are lodged into any account worldwide.
  • You can of course do it yourself and not have to pay any extra fee for a company to do it. However if you are like me and just want it done for you then check them out here.

Hope you have found this article helpful. Don’t forget to share it below.


Irish Around Canada Team

Share this post: