Here’s What Foreign Youths Need To Know About Canada’s IEC Programme

Share this post:

If you’re young and you’re looking for better opportunities abroad, Canada is a great place to consider. The 2015 application cycle for the International Experience Canada (IEC) program will began this March. Through this program, young citizens from 32 countries that have a bilateral youth mobility arrangement with Canada will have the opportunity to live and work in the North American country for up to two years.

Working Holiday

The Working Holiday category is perhaps the most popular part of the IEC program. It allows travellers to work anywhere in Canada and for almost any Canadian employer. To be eligible for the Working Holiday visa category, candidates must:

  • be a citizen (passport holder) of one of the 32 countries that have a bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada;
  • have a valid passport for the duration of their stay in Canada (the work permit issued will not be longer than the validity of the passport),
  • be between the ages of 18 and 30 or 35 (inclusive) at the time of application (the upper age limit depends on the applicant’s country of citizenship);
  • have the equivalent of C$2,500 on landing to help cover initial expenses;
  • be able to take out health insurance for the duration of their stay (participants may have to present evidence of this insurance at the point of entry in Canada);
    be admissible to Canada;
  • have, prior to departure, a round-trip ticket or the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket for the end of their authorized stay in Canada,
  • not be accompanied by dependents; and
  • pay the appropriate fees.

Young Professionals

The Young Professionals category is for foreign youth, especially post-secondary graduates, who want to gain professional work experience in Canada to improve their career. To qualify for this visa category, they must present a job offer letter or contract of employment signed by a Canadian employer. The offer of employment must be within the applicant’s field of expertise. Also, the applicant must fulfil the requirements stated in the Working Holiday category.

International Co-op (Internship)

The International Co-op category is for those who are currently enrolled at a post-secondary institution. To qualify, applicants must want to complete a work placement or internship at a Canadian company to fulfil part of their academic curriculum. They should also present a signed job offer letter and complete the requirements listed in the Working Holiday category.

Share this post: